Tuesday, August 30, 2011

If every night ends with you smiling like this, then it was a good night.

This morning I got up and met a good friend, Crystal, for some Starbucks (vanilla chai tea.. mmmm...). When I got home, my whole world fell apart. It was noon, and I had lab at 2:15. You can only miss one lab, and that lab has to be made up. Well I walked in the door, and my beloved child (lab/pit mix) was swollen like I've never seen before. His whole face was swollen, his neck was HUGE, he had swollen welts all over his body, his skin was red, his paws were even swollen. I had no idea what to do. I bawled my eyes out. I called Alex, no answer, I called my mom, no answer, I called Amanda, she answered, and all I said is SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH BRADLEY GET OVER HERE FAST! click.
This is me and my one and only <3
She came over and I called the vet. They said it must be an allergic reaction from his ear infection medication, and to get him to the hospital fast. Well, with me being a procrastinator, I hadn't done any of my homework for lab, and at this time, its almost 12:30 (the vet is 20 min away). So Amanda and I decided to just dose him up with Benedryl and have her watch him while I was at lab. He seemed to start getting better. But I have never been more scared in my life.

Next step of the day: hurry up and do homework. I had to do a Regional Write Up, this is just where you do a summary of the patient and talk about their height, weight, blood pressure (which is actually really hard to take) and things like that. So I finished my homework and rushed out the door. When I got to lab, I realized it was FIT testing day. On Tuesday, I only go to lab. One lab from 2:15 to 4, and the other from 4:15 to 6. The first class is Essentials of Nursing Lab. So last week we learned proper hand hygiene and infection control. FIT Testing is when you put a huge "cap" over your head. They take sacchrine, a really old sugar substitute, and spray it in. Once you taste it, then you put a N95 mask on. Then they spray sacchrine that is 100X more concentrated than what you just tasted! The goal is to make sure that you can't taste the sacchrine with the mask on. This is to ensure that when you are around airborne illnesses, that if you are wearing this mask, then you can't get the airborne illness. Apparently, sacchrine has the same size molecules as TB and things like that, interesting. So this was pretty cool.

My first taste of sacchrine

Quack


 
Couldn't taste anything :)

So after my long day and freaking out about Bradley, I get out of class to a text message from Alex saying he has dinner waiting :) I ran over to Amanda's, picked up the puppy dog, and went over to Alex's house. We go to this store that has exotic fruits and really good produce. Well one time we went, they had this fruit that looked so crazy, and it was called a rambutan. We looked them up and they have a lot of different health benefits and they are from Thailand. So we went back to get some, but they were out. Well he had a surprise for me, and it was a big stash of them! We finally got to try them, and they were really good! Look at how crazy they look... how would you not want to try something that looks like it grew on Mars?



 And for dinner: a bottle of wine, muscles, london broil, and pasta.



Now I am sitting at home, after a candle lit shower (because there are no more times for baths anymore), studying for a quiz tomorrow. My conclusion of the day: Alex and Amanda are my saviors.

P.s. Bradley looks like he is actually getting worse ever since we got back to my apartment. So Alex is on his way over to look at  him, and he has more Benadryl. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment