Friday, September 30, 2011

This is the closest I will come to feeling like a celebrity....

Ok... so it has been a while since I have written... but... same excuse.. I'm crazy busy....

Well... Monday was just another day. Class in the morning from 11-3. Next week we have a test and in this class we only take a few test and that is pretty much it. So pressure is on there. Then we had essentials class. We learned about injections! Something finally interesting. So we were all told to bring our needles and syringes (if you get pulled over with your lab kits and you don't have a UCF Student Nurse ID on you, you could get arrested... pretty intense stuff). And Tuesday... we learned about it all!!!

From 1415 to 1600 we were bumbarded with so much information. We each had our own "station" and we had to give injections to these imitation arms which were pretty much kind of like a sponge. It was so much stuff!!! How to properly give an injection to how to properly draw up the medication. It was a lot to handle, not to mention that there is SQ injections, IM, Subdermal, mixing insulin, reconstitution. Then.. afterwards.. we realized that our skills lab checkoff is in 2 weeks!!! If you don't pass the first time, then you get one more chance to do your injections... and if not... FAILURE....  At home, they told us to practice on hot dogs and oranges....
O...M...G.... and I was talking to some of the seniors and a lot of people actually ended up not passing the first time... awesome. Pretty much, it is just you and the instructor and you walk into an imaginary room and act like the patient is real. You talk to them and figure out what types of medication they need and how to administer the medication correctly. Well, we have to do all of this for three types of injections within 30 minutes while you have an instructor breathing down your neck and grading your every move from washing your hands to documenting the medication.... but that is two weeks away, and right now.. I am still trying to catch up on yesterday...

Well anyways.. afterwards I had Health Assessment lab. We got to play with the ear and eye equipment (otoscope and ophthalmascope). It was pretty neat to be on the other side and look in.... like literally inside.....

Well afterwards I signed up for open lab. This is when you can come into the lab and practice your skills checkoff or anything you would basically like to practice. So all of us girls are standing in the hallway waiting to be let into the lab. And I have been keeping this story from you, because I really didn't want EVERYBODY knowing this certain thing. OK, so you know how busy I am... well.. I am so busy that it is really hard to find time to do the normal things.. like... clean.... and laundry.. and stuff... Well, I only have two white tops, and one white pants and one blue pants for scrubs. And I have only done laundry once since we have been in nursing school so far.. (yes OK, I do realize that it has been about 6 weeks....) On my defense, I only wear scrubs 3/5 school days a week.. so that really isn't that bad. Well our white pants are extremely see through so we have to wear a certain white / beige granny panties. And of course, mine were dirty. So I grabbed a pair of white granny panties instead of beige. BIG MISTAKE! The elevators doors are mirrors, so as I am waiting to go into open lab, I realized how much you could see my underwear through my pants!!! So I tell the girls and everybody starts looking into the mirrors / elevator doors at my underwear line! And at this point, one of the girls has joined me, and we are bent completely over in front of the doors... when all of a sudden.. our instructor for open lab... comes around the corner and stares at us.. and by the way.. he was a male..... I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard.
I did my whites that night.....

Today I was at clinicals. I went to an elementary school in the morning to do hearing screenings. It was nice to do something besides vision! All of the little kids of course were adorable. The test was pretty easy once you got it down. I had my own little work area and screened a good amount of kids.
If a child doesn't understand that he needs to raise his hand when he hears a beep, we use a play off method. We give them a ball, and tell them to hold it up to their ear, and when the ball makes a noise to let go of the ball and drop it in a bucket. They got so excited and balls were going everywhere.
One of the little girls didn't know much english. And I can speak a very good amount of spanish. So I told the little one that, "Cuando oiga un BEEP BEEP BEEP, levante la mano." (When you hear beep beep beep, raise your hand.) So not only did she raise her hand, but when I pressed the button for the beep, she would go, " BEEP BEEP BEEP LEVANTE LA MANO BEEP BEEP BEEP!!!" At least she understood right?

Afterwards I left their and headed to catch up to the girls at another location for, yes you guessed it, more vision and BMI screenings. It is always nice to be around everybody though because some of the conversations are crazy. If any of you ever go to nursing school, the friends that you meet in your clinical group, will end up being your best friends for life. The girls in my group are amazing and we talk about everything. I can't count the number of times that all of us are dying laughing. But its ok, at least we can take each other's BP if one of us passes out... well... we might read it wrong.. but it will look like we know what we are doing.

As we were walking out, we walked through the cafeteria where all of the children were. They all started yelling and waving and trying to come see us. There were OHS, and AHS. Everybody was staring and talking about us. We all started waving. By the end of the cafeteria, I realized, this is the closes I will come to feeling like a celebrity. Thank you elementary schoolers.
Tomorrow is another day,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment